The Grievance Procedures are a series of escalating steps. Members desiring to file a Grievance must adhere to these procedures, in proper order, so that Grievances may be resolved fairly and consistently. Failure to follow these steps may result in an invalid Grievance that may not be reviewed.
The specific steps are as follows:
- Cooling off period (24 hours): There are to be no spontaneous grievance related conversations immediately following a game or practice. All parties should agree to wait at least 24 hours after a game or practice prior to initiating a conversation with a coach, board member, player, parent or other party.
- Grievance form: Prior to any conversations being held between a parent, coach, or board member the KVHA Grievance Submission form must be completed either electronically below, or download and complete the form below and email it back to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The President or Vice President or Hockey Director will be responsible for delivering the form to the appropriate party (coach, parent, or board member) to which the grievance is being submitted. This will allow all implicated parties the opportunity to be prepared to discuss the issue.
- Complainant must properly file the Submission Form within fifteen (15) days after the Grievance Incident occurs, or the Grievance will not be reviewed.
- The President, Vice President or Hockey Director will confirm receipt of the Submission Form and assign the Grievance Submission a number.
- Initial Meeting: The party against whom the grievance is filed will contact the complainant to arrange a time to meet and meet with all relevant/implicated parties in order to resolve the issue. The coach or board member will contact the complainant to arrange a time to meet with the parent and player (if appropriate) in order to resolve the issue. All parties are required to and agree to conduct themselves professionally and respectfully at all times.
- President, Vice President or Hockey Director Involvement: In the event the issue is not resolved to the satisfaction of the parties:
- The President, Vice President or Hockey Director will review the Submission Form and conduct an investigation of the Grievance to the extent that he/she/they can to fully understand the Grievance described in the Submission Form.
- Upon completing the investigation, the President, Vice President or Hockey Director may try and resolve the Grievance in any manner that he/she/they believe(s)s is in the best interest of all parties involved with the Grievance.
- The President, Vice President or Hockey Director may request a meeting with the parties involved in order to resolve the issue.
- Decisions/Resolutions: If the President, Vice President or Hockey Director makes an independent decision/resolution regarding the Grievance, then that decision/resolution will be communicated to Complainant and any other parties involved in the Grievance. The Grievance and its resolution will be reported to the KVHA Board of Directors as a matter of course in the regular monthly meetings. The Grievance will then be deemed closed.
If Complainant is not satisfied with the decision/resolution of the President, Vice President or Hockey Director, then Complainant may appeal the decision/resolution by completing the KVHA Grievance Appeal Form, available by emailing email@example.com and emailing the Appeal Form to the KVHA President at firstname.lastname@example.org. This Appeal will be considered an Article VII, section 4 Grievance pursuant to the KVHA By-laws.
- Complainant's appeal must be filed within seven (7) days after the President, Vice President or Hockey Director communicates the decision/resolution to Complainant.
- If Complainant fails to file a timely Appeal Form, then the President or Vice President may, in his or her discretion, decide that the President, Vice President or Hockey Director’s decision/resolution will stand without reviewing or considering the Appeal Form.
- All involved parties will either be invited to attend the next regularly scheduled KVHA Board of Directors meeting and present their case or a separate hearing will be arranged within two weeks after the receipt of the Grievance Appeal form. Notification of the decision will be made no later than two weeks after the Board of Director’s meeting or hearing.
Grievance Committee (“GC”):
- In the event the issue is not resolved, and a Grievance Committee has been formed, the President Vice President will bring the grievance to said Committee. The GC may schedule a meeting with the Complainant.
- The Committee has the authority to make decisions/resolutions with respect to any Grievance referred to the Grievance Committee and the authority to communicate those decisions/resolutions to Complainant and to any other parties involved in the Grievance.
- The President may then disseminate the decision/resolution of the GC to the KVHA Board of Directors.
- Any decision/resolution of the GC is final and is not subject to further appeal.
The Grievance Procedures were written to provide for a governing structure with respect to responding to a Grievance so that the President, Vice President and Hockey Director, the KVHA Board of Directors and the Grievance Committee may as reasonably and as quickly as possible to deal with a variety of Grievances that will arise from time to time. Should a Member have any questions regarding Grievance Procedures, please contact the Vice President email@example.com